Understanding the Risks
Older Americans are at risk for a number of reasons:
What Fire Hazards Affect Older People?
- They may be less able to take the quick action necessary in a fire emergency.
- They may be on medication that affects their ability to make quick decisions.
- Many older people live alone and when accidents happen, others may not be around to help.
- Cooking accidents are among the leading causes of fire related injuries for older Americans. The kitchen is one of the most active and potentially dangerous rooms in the house.
- The unsafe use of smoking materials is a leading cause of fire deaths among older Americans.
- Heating equipment is responsible for many fires in seniors' homes. Extra caution should be used with alternate heaters such as wood stoves or electric space heaters.
- Faulty wiring is another major cause of fires affecting the elderly. Older homes can have serious wiring problems, ranging from old appliances with bad wiring to overloaded circuits.